Meredith Terranova on Eating Smarter for Better Performance
My favorite subject, food! is on the docket for today.
The last time I did a big race which for me is 25k trail mountain run, I posted on instagram (are you following me on instagram by the way?) a photo of my favorite recovery meal - Hammer Nutrition Recoverite drink, strawberry flavored, and cheddar cheese flavored Kettle Chips. Today, we’ll learn why that’s not such an awesome idea, in case you thought it was. Meredith is a sports nutritionist and an ultra athlete, in fact she competes in the Ultra Man in November - essentially a three day double ironman. Day 1 is a 10k swim and 91 mile bike, day 2 is 170 mile bike and day 3 is a double marathon. That’s over 52 miles of running on the last day.
She has a lot of great advice for those of us aspiring to improve performance or simply feel better. Time management for training is a big one. She shares her system that she and her husband have found work well for them. It’s like having a baby and you need to divvy up the chores. Lastly, she walks us through an approach to finding what works for you - throw those fad diets out the door - and how to think about nutrition during different phases of your training.
With that, let’s listen in and gear up for what’s next
Where to find Meredith:
How to Listen to Podcasts
There are a number of ways to access this (and other podcasts). You can listen directly from this page by clicking that orange play button above or the download link.
From your favorite podcast app on your smartphone:
- If you are on an iPhone, go to iTunes and subscribe. It will be added to your Apple Podcasts app which comes by default on your iPhone. Once you do that, you can browse around and add others to your podcasts:
- On your Android phone, listen to it on Google Play, preinstalled on your phone:
- Stitcher is another great app for listening to podcasts.
- Lastly, I wanted to share with you a new app for finding and listening to podcasts - it's called Radio Public. You can easily import your podcast list from your current app, explore new ones from curated lists, create your own playlist and share playlists with others. Find The Gear Show on Radio Public.
Want to do me a huge favor?
Reviewing and sharing are the most helpful ways to get this in front of new listeners.
- Make sure and get the next episode in your inbox - subscribe right up there, top right of this page.
- If you enjoyed this podcast, I would LOVE it if you reviewed it here on iTunes! It makes a big difference!
- I really want to hear from you - questions, topic and guest suggestions, anything. Talk to me in the comments below or here.
See you next week!